Where is Leeds, and what is there to do?
Leeds is a vibrant, affordable and multicultural city, known for its arts, sports, leisure, entertainment and nightlife. Located in Yorkshire, England, over 60,000 students live within the city boundaries. There’s a vibrant student community, making it an exciting place to live and learn. There are plenty of great things to do in Leeds.
What is Leeds known for?
- Shopping - Big high-street brands, exciting independent stores, food markets, and restaurants can all be found here.
- Arts and Culture - Leeds' strong performing arts sector, museums and galleries mean there's always something to do.
- World-class sport - Leeds plays host to some of the UK's most exciting sports teams. Leeds United Football Club, Leeds Rhinos, and Test Match cricket at Headingley stadium are all based in your new city.
- Yorkshire countryside - Just outside the city is the famous Yorkshire countryside. Beautiful landscapes, quaint villages, and market towns are just waiting to be explored.
Cost of living
While there's plenty to see and do here, Leeds remains a relatively inexpensive city in the UK. Accommodation, groceries, and restaurant bills are all typically lower in Leeds than London. As a major student city, there will also be plenty of opportunities for you to take advantage of exclusive student discounts.
Once you complete your International Study Centre programme and become a University of Leeds student, you will be a part of a large international community at the university. The campus is within walking distance of the city centre, with frequent buses available too. As a University of Leeds student, you'll find that there's plenty to do:
- Leeds University Union - Located at the heart of the campus, the Leeds University Union has shops, cafés, bars, nightclubs, a theatre, spa, hairdressers, opticians, bank and a student advice centre inside. There are also over 300 clubs and societies for you to get involved with.
- Excellent transport links - Alongside excellent inner-city transport, you can also easily get to York, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh and London.
- Stay healthy - One of Leeds' best gyms, the Edge, is on the University's campus, so you can hit the gym, go to a class, swim, or go climbing with ease.
Leeds is the UK’s fastest growing city and has a massive £64.6 billion economy. As an international student here, you can work for up to 20 hours as part of your Student visa. Once you graduate, you may stay and work in the UK with the Graduate Immigration Route.